Mysterious flowering trees of Indiana

One of my favorite things about Springtime in Indiana is . . . the beautiful flowering trees. This is one of my favorites. Some people call it a tulip tree. Others call it a saucer magnolia. I don't think it's a "true" tulip tree (at least, not the same as the state tree of Indiana) but . . . I'm not sure. Can any of my Hoosier readers solve this mystery?

Unlike the crepe myrtles, crabapples, and dogwoods that proliferate the yards back home in North Carolina, these mysterious flowering trees - whatever their name - don't seem to emit pollen that makes me allergic. (I'm so grateful for that!) Instead, they are content just to look pretty, even if only for a few weeks.

Like Spring in Indiana, they don't last long. The recent rains have knocked off most of the petals. But they sure were nice while they lasted.

And weather here . . . typical Indiana weather. Today it's rainy and cold: only around 48F/7C. In just a few days, sunny and 81F/27C. Before we know it, most of us will be complaining about the hot, humid summer weather. So let's just enjoy things the way they are. 

Popular Posts