New River Gorge

New River Gorge Bridge, West Virginia
Just returned from a weekend in the New River Gorge area of West Virginia. The main focus of our trip was to celebrate S's brother's birthday by going whitewater rafting in the New River. West Virginia is known for its amazing whitewater, and we weren't disappointed. Here's a view of the river, but you need to know that this photo was taken from some 700 feet above, so it's much larger than it appears.

The New River is not new at all but is one of the oldest rivers in North America.

Anyway, the rafting was AWESOME and so was the rest of our trip.

We stayed at a place called ACE Adventure Resort, so let me go ahead and give my plug now: Are you looking for a great place to to take a family vacation? ACE rocks, and there's something to do for all ages and abilities. So maybe you want to get away but you don't want to raft or kayak? Fine. You can play paintball, go horseback riding, hike, mountain bike, go on an ATV tour, and/or a bunch of other stuff. They even have a lake with lots of stuff to do in it, such as ziplining and jumping on a gigantic pillow. It's hard for me to explain that last one. You just have to see it.

The lake . . . and the gigantic pillow thing you can jump on. 

Who knew West Virginia had a beach? :)

We stayed in a log cabin that could have easily lodged eight people. That is, if the people were fairly close. Because if they weren't close, they would definitely be close before the trip was over. Seriously, the log cabin was awesome. We didn't turn on the TV, not once.

Our log cabin!

After we checked out this morning, S & I went off in search of good views of the New River and the awesome New River Gorge bridge, which you saw up above. That bridge is an amazing piece of structural engineering, so my photo doesn't do it justice. As we were nearing the end of our rafting trip yesterday, I SO WISH that I had my camera with me, because the view of the bridge from the river is stunning. But since I can't do that, let me direct you to the Wikipedia entry on the New River Bridge. Check it out.

Popular Posts