The day after the election

The 2012 election is over. I'm glad, because from my perspective as a resident of a swing state, it was the worst election ever. For most of the year, we in North Carolina have been inundated with negativity via billboards, print and television advertisements -- from both sides of the political spectrum. They say there are lies, damn lies, and statistics, and I can now say that I've seen or heard them all.

But the thing that has shocked me most is . . . people's behavior. I've seen a side of people this election cycle that I've never seen before. Long-time friends and even a few family members have totally shocked me with stuff they wrote on Facebook or said in random conversations. I even had three people unfriend me on Facebook, most likely because I "liked" political candidates that they didn't. Which is interesting, because I wasn't nearly as political as they were, and I didn't unfriend them for liking the other candidate.

Look, here's the deal. The world is not going to end because Obama was re-elected. It's not the end of democracy or the beginning of the apocalypse, either. It's just another day, the day after the election. I would say the same thing if Romney had been elected.

Here's another deal. The world has changed. The world is changing. It will continue to change. This country has changed. This country is changing. It, too, will continue to change. Maybe things will be better and maybe they won't. But I don't think we will ever go back to the way we were, nor do I think we should. Does this mean we should all be depressed and curl up and die? No, I don't think so.

I'd like to see us lay the bitterness aside and work together for the good of our country and our world. Let's take this passion that many of us felt and turn it into something positive. Let's roll up our sleeves and get some stuff done.

I'm Mariandy, and I approve this message!!!

Popular Posts