My word for 2016

Happy 2016!!!

This time last year, I decided to choose a meaningful word to focus on in 2015. (I've debated revealing that word here, but decided not to because it really doesn't matter since as I write this, 2015 is already over in most of the world.) I kept my focus on that word all year long. I learned a lot from the experience, so much that I'll probably choose a word every year for the rest of my life.

For 2016, I've selected a German word. It's one I came across when I lived in Vienna back in 2008: Gemütlichkeit. To help you with that, here's the pronunciation: ge·moot·li·kite (officially ɡəˈmo͞otlikˌkīt/, but I can never read those dictionary-style pronunciations, can you?) It's a noun, and is often defined as friendliness and/or good cheer. It evokes a state of mind, a sense of belonging, a certain coziness. There's no English equivalent, but hopefully you get the idea.

My plan for the new year is to achieve Gemütlichkeit by seeking joy in everything I do, creating and cultivating meaningful relationships, and letting my true personality shine. (I'm really tired of holding back. Holding back is so 2015.) I'm going to write about the things I love, the things that make me happy, and the things I experience or learn about that bring me joy. These things may be totally dorky, but I won't care because they will bring me Gemütlichkeit. And I'm going to share the love.

So look out. I'm back. This blog is back. And we're going to have a lot of fun in 2016.

mm
:)

Popular Posts