Allergies

The Angel Oak, Johns Island, South Carolina
We've had an early Spring here, with several days of 70/80F (21/26C) temps in early March. Oh, it was so exciting to be able to sleep with windows open! To go for walks! To work in the garden or yard! To be in the great outdoors!

Well, you know what happens with warmer temps. Flowers and trees start waking up. It happens so slowly, you don't even realize it, until the one day you wake up and see a familiar yellow haze in the air. Then you notice the yellow dust on your car, driveway, on your pet, everywhere. (At least that's how it is in North Carolina -- we're especially well-known for our pine pollen.)

By the time you see it everywhere, it's too late. You've already got ten tons of it in your nostrils, your eyes, your mouth and ears. You know it's not a random upper respiratory infection because you've had this before and so you know. Yes, I'm talking about my personal experience here.

This is my sixth Spring back in North Carolina, and I haven't had it this bad since I was six years old. I actually thought I had "outgrown" my allergies. Specifically my oak pollen allergy (yep, it's the oak pollen that gets me, even though I AM CRAZY ABOUT OAK TREES). But no. My allergies are back. Full force.

My allergies have been the worst ever this year. Seriously. I'm going to have to find an allergist and will probably need to get shots again. Either that, or move to Albuquerque.

In the meantime, the air conditioner is on. All walks and outdoor activities, suspended. It sucks, but hey, it's what works for me.

Excuse me, but I need to . . . Ah-CHOO!!!

mm
:)

Popular Posts