Tea is winning me over

I know people who can't function without a morning cup of coffee (or two!) As for me, I didn't even start drinking coffee until I was 32 years old, and allowed myself to be influenced by a certain special person. It didn't take long before I was hooked. A short time later, my friend "A" (she knows who she is) introduced me to that nectar of the gods known as the Starbucks mocha, and the rest was history.

One of the most awesome things about living in Vienna last year was that I was living in the place where coffee rules. These people know their coffee. I mean, I've travelled the world several times over now, and I can tell you that the best coffee in the whole wide world is in Vienna, Austria. 

But . . . lately, I wonder if I'm losing my taste for coffee? I just can't seem to drink much "regular" coffee anymore (by this I really do mean regular coffee, not espresso. I could happily consume espresso drinks several times a day.) The fact is, I've started drinking more . . . tea. That's right, folks. I'm totally into black teas. And Rooibos, a red tea from southern Africa. I'm beginning to enjoy some types of green tea. I'm even making my own ginger tea, and herbal teas, such as peppermint and chamomile (which I grew!)

When I was in London about a year and a half ago, my friend/coworker "S" and I popped into Harrod's one afternoon for high tea. That was one of the most memorable things about that trip to the UK. Cute little teapots with really awesome tea, and cute little sandwiches and scones with jam and real butter. I love the whole tradition of taking some time in the afternoon just to chill and enjoy a nice cup of tea and some snacks. I know I could do this with coffee also (and I have done), but there's something about tea that's refreshing and invigorating. 

Come to think of it, there's something in the UK tea that's different, sort of like there's something about the Austrian coffee. I now recall this from other previous trips there, as well as the trip to Ireland several years ago. The tea smells so fresh. OK, now I have to find a place online to get some real English tea . . . PG? Typhoo? Suggestions, anyone?

Popular Posts