Olympics geek

I'll admit it. I'm an Olympics geek. Since Innsbruck and Montreal 1976, with very few exceptions, I've been one of those individuals glued to the television from the Parade of Nations to the closing ceremonies. When it comes to winter sports, I have my favorites: speed skating, hockey, figure skating. I also like freestyle and am excited about snowboarding. But the truth is, there's no winter sport I won't watch. Even curling fascinates me.

I love Day 1, seeing video clips of the host city (and Vancouver is beautiful! Wow!!!) and the interviews with the athletes, and of course, the opening ceremonies. I thought the Canadians did a wonderful job with Friday night's opening ceremonies . . . the techno stuff was cool, and I enjoyed the music and focus on Canada's cultural diversity. I love watching the athletes walk in. It's fun to see their enthusiasm, and the interesting clothes they wear: Kudos this year go to Team Sweden's hats, Team Canada's mittens, Team Bermuda's bermuda shorts, Team Czech Republics way cool pants, and Team USA's cabled sweaters. But Team UK, in my opinion, had the sharpest looking ensembles this year. :-)

I get annoyed when the television networks cut to commercial during the middle of the Parade of Nations. This seems so wrong and . . . disrespectful. While I doubt that any network types read this blog, I sure do wish they would make Parade of Nations commercial-free.

Like everyone else, I was saddened by the death of Norad Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger. Watching Team Georgia walk in was . . . well, my heart goes out to them, Kumaritashvili's family, the people of the Republic of Georgia, and all lugers everywhere. 

Yesterday . . . Day 2 . . . I bookmarked the official Olympics web site so I could easily keep track of the medal count. I rejoiced when I learned that Team Austria won a bronze early on, and Slovakia won their first ever gold. I secretly pulled for Canada during the women's moguls, hoping that this might be the event where they'd win their first gold on home turf (they got silver.) My heart skipped a beat during the short track when the two Korean skaters fell. Ah, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat.

Today . . . Day 3 . . . I'll be glued to the TV as much as possible, or checking the web site to keep up. It'll be hard these next few weeks, because I'll want to stay up late watching, which will make it even more a struggle to get up in the mornings. Oh, well. That's just the way it is! If for some reason I'm not blogging much for the rest of this month, you'll know why.

I love the summer games as well, and look forward to London 2012. And Sochi 2014. And São Paulo 2016. And wherever after that!

Popular Posts