Movie weekend

I used to go to movies all the time, but for the last several years, I just haven't been into movie watching. There are several reasons for this, including the fact that I cannot sit still for two hours at a time. With very few exceptions (e.g., Avatar), it seems like such a waste of time. I always feel like I need to be multi-tasking. Even when I watch TV, I'm doing something else: cooking, Facebooking, blogging, etc. So it's a really unusual thing that I watched not just one but three movies this weekend.

Last night, we decided to order Precious on Comcast On Demand. I'd seen the previews and heard all the hype about Mo'Nique's Oscar-winning performance and Gabourey Sidibe's amazing film debut, and to be honest, I wanted to see Mariah Carey without makeup. Just kidding on that last part. Seriously, though, I got sucked right into this movie from the very first frame, and sat right there in the chair, alternatively wanting to cry and wanting to smack that b*tch Mary Jones (Mo'Nique is seriously awesome in this role) up. Precious may not be a perfect movie, but it's certainly captivating, and probably more reflective of some people's realities than we realize.

Once you push that button on On Demand once, it's easy to do it again. So we ordered a second movie. Both of us had been interested in seeing Amelia when it came out in theatres, but for some reason (um, we have lives?) we missed it. I've always liked Hilary Swank, and thought she did a good job as Amelia Earhart -- even looked a lot like her. But there was something flat about the movie, and my interest started to wane after the first 20 minutes or so. I didn't like Richard Gere as Putnam, but I don't know why. So I got out my knitting (that will have to be a future blog entry as I'm sure some of you may be quite shocked that I would ever write the words "I" and "knitting" in the same sentence) and that was pretty much it until 12:40AM. (1:40AM if you count the time change.)

This morning during breakfast, we noticed that 2010 Best Picture winner The Hurt Locker was available On Demand, so we gave it a go. OK. I know there are lots of people out there who think this is a great movie. I respect that. But for me, it was the type of movie I could play Bejeweled Blitz all the way through and look up only when something exploded. In fact, I wrote this entire blog entry while this movie was on, and don't feel like I've missed a thing.

Maybe I should have only watched one movie. Quality is better than quantity, after all.

Popular Posts