Scenes from 'Bama


We spent the 'July 4th weekend" in Alabama, where most of S's extended family lives. One day we drove to the the town in southwest Alabama where her Dad is from. I've been there four times and every time I go, I think of the town in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes.


I'm not sure when this store -- called Grant's Mercantile or the "Guff" (not Gulf) station -- closed, but gas was only 67 cents a gallon! It really is like taking a step back in time here. If I close my eyes, I can hear the train whistle and other sounds of days gone by. I'm sure that if I focus really hard and look in the right direction, I'll spot Izzy under a tree, charming some bees and stealing some honey.


It's a peaceful place to visit, and good for the soul. I look forward to my next visit!

Popular Posts