Sunset Beach & Calabash


It's kind of embarrassing that I've been back in North Carolina for three years now and haven't yet had a beach vacation. But I did get to spend fifteen minutes at Sunset Beach on Fathers' Day in June.


The truth is, I'm not really a beach person. I like to stick my feet in the water and walk along the shore and all that, but I don't like being in the sun for very long, and I don't like that ikky feeling of sand sticking to my skin.  Also, I hate the crowds, not being able to find a parking place, the scorching heat of the sidewalks and concrete and dry sand.

I'd much rather go to the beach in November or December or March when hardly anyone else is around.

But there's something therapeutic about the ocean, so I was glad that I had my fifteen minutes. :)


I also like the marshes near the beach. This one is on the river in Calabash, the town that's famous for its fried seafood.


Speaking of seafood . . .  here's a plate of Calabash-style: fried fish, fried crab, fried oysters, fried shrimp, fried potatoes and coleslaw. There are at least a billion calories on this plate, and this stuff is not for the faint of heart.

Yet for some reason I find myself getting hungry just looking at it. :-O

Popular Posts