A more simple life

I've been thinking for quite some time now about an appropriate resolution for the New Year, and I keep coming back to the same thing: I need to strive for a more simple life. Not just literally, but figuratively. I'm going to spend less money, I'm going to learn to live on less, and most importantly, I'm going to learn to be happy with less "stuff." Not that "stuff" has ever made me happy, but let's face it. It's time to get real.

The first thing I need to do is define simple. Does "simple living" mean bad coffee, rancid olive oil, and terrible food? No! There are some things one should never compromise. 

Does it mean 900 channels on the TV? The newest, fastest computer? The latest tech gadgets? Cross-country or international trips on my own dime? Um, no.

I'm going to do more to reduce my carbon footprint on the earth. I'm going to turn off the lights and turn down the heat. I'm going to cook healthy meals more often, from local ingredients as much as possible. I'm going to do less shopping, but when I do shop, I'm going to look for things made locally. I'm going to reacquaint myself with the local farmers' markets, city and state parks, and my own backyard. I'm going to plan (not plant) my garden now, even if I don't yet know where I'll be living this summer. 

I'm going to read more - and the books will be from my existing library, used, or from the public library. I'm going to get outside more, get more sunlight, and fresh air. I'm going to spend more quality time with friends and whenever possible, family (they live four states away). I'm going to learn to make good iced tea. I might re-learn to knit, or get my friends Nicole and Mary to help me improve my skills. 

I'm going to relax more, and worry less. I'm going to accept things as "God's will" more (but I won't use that as excuse not to act when I need to act!) I'm going to talk less and listen more. I'm going to just be, instead of trying to be something I'm not.

And I'm going to blog more about these things. After all, that's the true spirit of Gypsy Roots. 

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope 2010 will be a year of good health, happiness, and prosperity for everyone who reads this.


Popular Posts