Aw, shucks


Last weekend we celebrated my sister's 40th birthday (so hard to believe that my "little" sister is now 40!!!) and my brother-in-law's 41st in true Carolina style. We all drove to the coastal town of Calabash, North Carolina, which is known for its seafood restaurants (our favorite? Ella's. It's worth it to see Ella's photo gallery if you've never been to Calabash.) It's December, which means . . . IT'S OYSTER SEASON!!! Roasted (steamed) oysters is a Carolina favorite, and that's what my sister wanted. [I guess this is where I add the disclaimer that I'm not a big oyster fan, although I did partake, given that it was a birthday celebration and all. Let's just say I took one for the team. LOL!]

To give you an idea of how much of a Carolina tradition this is, my nephew learned how to properly use an oyster knife at the age of three. And my Mom can shuck her way through a bushel of oysters in about thirty seconds. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not much.

S and I split a "full roast" of oysters. I have no idea what this means, except that it's twice as much as a half roast. They bring it to you in a big steamer pan with the lid on, and it's REALLY hot. You carefully open up the lid, carefully grab an oyster, carefully take your oyster knife and pop it open, and Voila!


Good times, baby. Good Carolina times. And guess who's becoming quite the pro at shucking (and eating) oysters? That's right, a certain gal who was born in New Jersey and raised in Europe!!! Bet if you'd ask, she'd even give you a tip or two. We might as well go ahead and get her that Carolina Girl hat and make it official. :-)

Popular Posts