Computer blues

I've heard that computers typically have a lifespan of about three years. My MacBook is four years old now. It's been with me all around the world, been in my backpack, my carry-on bag, and on my lap across oceans and time zones more times than I can recall. I lost count a long time ago how many countries it's been in. I've written a book, five or six blogs, a couple of thousand emails, 1,800 tweets, and countless Facebook messages on it. It houses my photos from five continents and 30+ countries. It holds my family tree, and at least one branch goes back to the sixteenth century, documented.

It's a part of me. Like an appendage. Or a really close friend. Actually, it is a close friend. :-)

Unfortunately, it's reached the point where the battery only lasts about an hour . . . and the hard drive is full. It's been full before, but I've always deleted stuff and made more room. Recently, I've even deleted some programs. But I can't do that anymore. I've reached the point where I don't want to delete anything else. I can't even post any photos on my blog right now, because . . . it won't let me. 

The Apple Store has done everything it can.

My conclusion: It's time to get a new computer. I don't know when I'm going to do it, but I need to do it soon. Deep breath now.

. . . To be continued!

Popular Posts