Everyday weirdness

I was driving south on US 31 this evening during rush hour, and noticed a foot hanging out of the trunk of a car ahead of me. This is an example of the everyday weirdness I seem to encounter. Sometimes I think I'm a magnet for weirdness. 

Weird things have happened to me all my life. How many of my faithful readers (both of you) know that I have been struck by lightning? It's true. When I was about 14 years old, I was talking on the phone during a thunderstorm. Back in 1978, the phones were directly wired (no cordless phones). My Mom used to warn me not to talk on the phone during thunderstorms, but like most other fourteen year-olds I had a pretty hard head. Lightning struck, and in a split second I was picked up (135 pounds or so) and thrown across the room. I hit the wall hard. Some people have told me I was really lucky that I didn't die. All I know is, I never talked on a corded phone during a thunderstorm anymore after that. And I started listening to my Mom more. :-)

When I was about sixteen or seventeen, I was mowing the lawn at my parents' house one Saturday, and I had this creepy sensation that someone was watching me. Instinctively, I looked up . . . and the Goodyear blimp was flying right over me!

Also in my late teens, sometime before the Stealth bomber was well-known, I was walking on our farm and had that same type of sensation that something was watching me, and I looked up and saw the strangest airplane. It was shaped like a triangle and flying really, really low and did not have a loud sound. It freaked me out so much that I ran home and never walked in that field alone again.

When I was in my early thirties, I was standing outside in the yard with my Dad, and for some reason we were looking up in the sky. Suddenly, we saw something that we both swear to this day was a UFO. It was very high but we could see its lights. It came from the west, first at a normal airplane speed, but then ZOOMed across the night sky out over the ocean. Now you might think maybe this was just some sort of military plane or satellite or something, but I'm not sure we've achieved that level of physics knowledge. You see, the plane did a fast-as-lightning zig zag right over us, with perfect precision.

So, the car with the foot hanging out may not be as interesting as some of the other weird things I've experienced, but it got me to thinking about all these things. 

Do you have any weird stories? What's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to you?

Popular Posts