The voice within

I love farmers' markets, and it's long been one of my dreams to work in one. So I'm really happy that having this time off is allowing me to become involved with Indy's newest, Stadium Village Farmers' Market. When I was working my first market a few days ago, I met a man who has a successful business in the area and is one of the market's corporate sponsors. We got to talking, and he told me a story that gave me lots of inspiration.

He always dreamed of owning his own business . . . but he couldn't quite figure out how to make it work. There's always that fear, you know: Can I do it? Will things work out? What if I fail? And so on. In the beginning, he wasn't even sure what kind of business to have, so he explored several options. Meanwhile, he worked the third shift at "Company X", and longed for the day when his dreams would come true and he could be his own boss. One day while dining at a popular deli on the corner of Meridian and McCarty Streets, he happened to glance out the window, and his eyes gazed upon the building across the street (the current home of a flower shop and massage/yoga studio). Suddenly, it occurred to him that he wanted his business to be in that building. It was like he just knew.

It wasn't long after that he set up shop there, and things started falling into place. Soon he was able to quit the job at "Company X" and the rest, as they say, is history. Although his store has since moved from the corner to just down the street, the point is: this gentleman found his true calling . . . by listening to what I like to call The Voice Within.

As we were chatting, he told me he had heard (from someone else at the market) that I was currently unemployed, and he asked me if I had any idea what was next. I replied that I was exploring -- and that I wanted to do something I really love and enjoy. He shook his head in agreement and said: "You absolutely have to feel passionate about what you do. It makes all the difference in the world."

Great words of wisdom from someone who knows what he's talking about! It's certainly made me think even more about what I want and what I feel passionately about. This Voice Within thing can be very powerful, but how many of us truly listen? Most of us have been socialized over the years to tune it out. Maybe we need to turn up the volume instead.

Popular Posts