The last word on 2010

For as long as I can remember, I've taken the time on New Year's Eve each year to write a recap of the outgoing year. I did this when I was a kid, and as an adult - first in journals, later in blogs. I wanted to do it as per usual in 2010, but when New Year's Eve came, I found that I just couldn't do it. Looking back on the year was too emotional. It was such an overwhelming year of change.

I could think of all sorts of reasons to hate 2010. Let's see. OK, the year started with knowing that both S & I would lose our jobs with a company we'd worked for for nearly 10 years. That meant we'd also lose our house. Well, OK, we didn't actually "lose" our house. Thankfully, we were able to sell it. And we'd have to say goodbye (or at least "see ya later") to so many friends we'd made over the years. We'd have to find new jobs. And move. Oh, boy, do I HATE MOVING!!!

So I just didn't feel like writing my annual Year in Review.

OK. So the new year is here now. It's over a week old. 2010 is the past. I'm not so angry with 2010 anymore. Why? Because I've realized that it was really a GREAT year. It was great because it allowed us to make changes that we knew we needed to make anyway. Yeah, I just wrote that! And I mean it!

Sometimes, deep inside, you know you need to do something. It's like your inner voice tells you that you need to change something; you need to do something differently. But you feel immobilized. The status quo can be so intoxicating, so alluring, you don't want to rock the boat. Not changing is easier than changing. So you resist the change.

I listened to my inner voice in 2010. That doesn't mean it wasn't painful. Actually, it hurt like hell. But I made it through.

Sayonara, 2010. That's all I'm going to write about you. It's 2011 now, and I have a feeling that 2011 is going to be just fine.

Popular Posts