Plant a tree & watch it grow


Happy New Year! Hard to believe that 2011's here already. 2010 seemed to fly by, but I'm glad it's over. It was a major year of change for me . . . way too many changes . . . anyway, I hope that things will settle down in 2011. Actually, I'm kind of hoping for a quiet year, and my New Year's resolution is to strive for a more simple life. I think you might see reflections of that goal in my blog this year. Starting with this entry, perhaps.

On Saturday (New Year's Day), we planted 20 Leyland Cypress trees on the farm. First, we had to measure (we planted the trees 9 feet apart) and lay the stakes. Next, we had to clear off the Bermuda grass where the stakes were. That was the most painful part, because Bermuda grass is very, very stubborn. Then we dug the holes. Fortunately, the ground was soft due to the recent snow and rain, so digging the holes wasn't difficult.

It was hard work, though, and I'm still aching in places I didn't know I had muscles. When it was time to eat the traditional New Year's meal of black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread (and not so traditional blackberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream) on Saturday afternoon, I felt no guilt whatsoever.

They say it doesn't take all that long for these trees to grow. We'll be keeping an eye on them! Today's photo is our baseline.

Hope 2011 will be a wonderful year for everyone reading this!

Popular Posts