No rest for the weary

You'd think that January would be a really slow month on a farm, but no. We're getting ready for Spring already. One of my jobs this weekend was to prune the pear, peach, and apple trees. It took me a couple of hours to do all 10 trees. Hope I didn't kill them!

There's a lot to do over the next few weeks. Next time we visit, we'll need to amend the soil to prepare for the blackberry and raspberry bushes and grapes that are due to arrive in mid-February; we'll also amend soil for a rose garden and for the vegetable gardens. We're going to do vegetables in the field (in rows) as well as in raised beds. I've staked off places to put some of the raised beds, so we'll need to get the untreated lumber and make the boxes. Believe it or not, planting here starts around the middle of February! First up are lettuces, peas, and beets.

I'm sure I'll be writing more about this as it happens - and sharing photos, too. For now, I'm just trying to write everything down so I'll know what needs to be done. So much to learn! But I'm enjoying every minute of it. :-)

Popular Posts