The real Mama Grizzly

This afternoon, I had to make a stop on my way home from work to pick up the dogs. They spent the day at the "spa" (getting all cleaned up for Auntie Karen's visit this weekend) and were looking/smelling nice and clean when I picked them up. Knowing that the first thing they want to do when we go outside is to go potty, I grabbed their leashes and steered them to the closest grassy spot, which happens to be behind the back door of the dog spa establishment. Just as they were getting comfortable, there was a great ruckus.

I looked up just in time to see two large dogs (off leash) running towards us. Their human yelled for them to come back. Fortunately, one of them obeyed. But the remaining dog -- a very large Boxer, seemed determined to get to my little doggies.

Things happened so fast, it's hard to process now, but the Boxer appeared to be about to bite the neck of one of my dogs. Suddenly, a rush of adrenaline surged through me. It was a feeling I've never had before. Although it sounds incredibly stupid now, I grabbed the scruff of this unfamiliar Boxer with my non-dominant hand (which was suddenly very strong -- hey, maybe the gym is paying off) and tossed him aside like a used paper towel. Not for a second did I think that this dog could -- if he wanted to -- bite off a finger or my hand or my whole arm, for that matter. (That fear came later as I was driving home.) My action jolted the Boxer to attention, and immediately, he high-tailed it back to his Mom.

My dogs are both fine -- thankfully. In fact, two hours later they're just as normal as can be. I, on the other hand, am beginning to show signs of post traumatic stress disorder. It's kind of freaking me out now that I reacted so . . . fearlessly.

In most places in this country, it's illegal for dogs to be off leash. There are reasons for this, people. Dogs are dogs, and therefore will follow their own instincts, meaning they won't always be 100% obedient. Most likely, the Boxer only wanted to play. But how was I to know for sure? I reacted the only way I knew how. I, Alpha Bitch, protected my pack.

Don't mess with my little grizzlies.

Popular Posts